Author Topic: So Sad...  (Read 3634 times)

Cyle/Garth

• Sorcerer Supreme
  • Pre-Reg
  • Creature on Patrol
    • View Profile
So Sad...
« on: July 09, 2013, 07:00:13 AM »
No DarkCon for 2014...What will I do now?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 09:41:41 AM by Cyle/Garth »
'08-'12 Garth - Wizard
05'-'07 Garth - Human Mage

Ricky

• Pre-Reg
  • Phollower
  • It's about sending a message
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Re: So Sad...
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 08:43:41 AM »
I had a sneaking suspicion of something like this considering a scenario named "End Game". 

I want to give a huge THANK YOU to Handmade Games and anyone who has ever been a part of HMG.  You've really given me the highlight of my year nearly every year since 1994 and I always get the impression that it's given out of your love for games and the kindness of your hearts.  I hope there will be a demand for the larger scenarios outside of conventions as I will surely attend.

I think I'll go cry now.
'13 The Great Turtle
'12 Algernon Radcliffe
'11 Kip Oppenheimer
'10 Harry Ross, Matchmaker Extraordinaire
'09 Josh, God of Cookies
'08 Gruesome
'07 Walter Del Mundo, Coven of Dark Mages
'05 Good Dragon
'04 MIB Agent
'03 Leprechaun

Dakota

• Bunny
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 11:48:04 AM »
This sucks but i understand why this happens..... and i just wanted to say thank you, you guys gave me a family and a place to get away you guys introduced me to LARPing and helped me grow up from that lil kid years ago and ill miss all of you stay in touch ill put a link to my Facebook below.

https://www.facebook.com/dakota.gierszewski.5

Josh Wilhoyte

• Pre-Reg
  • Y2K bug
  • MonKEH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 02:39:55 PM »
  I'm saddened by it as well.  I can't say I'm surprised.  A game like this takes alot of time, energy, effort, work, money, and more.  Dealing with each other, disagreements, the Con itself, our annoying butts.  It's amazing anyone ever runs a LARP.  And the LARP scene has seriously changed.  I'm glad to hear that they're planning on re-assessing where they are, what they can do, what they want to do, and I look forward to seeing where they go from here.

Good luck guys.  You know we're here when you need us.
Josh Wilhoyte
Former Fan Table Chair - The ConFronted

For Identification purposes:
Josh as Armand Du, Sleepy in Action

Ricky

• Pre-Reg
  • Phollower
  • It's about sending a message
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 02:55:33 PM »
On the bright side, this little bit has got me excited:

"As we've announced, you can request any character you can think of from our 20 year history: if the character is available, you’ll get to play it.  And that’s not even be the most exciting thing we are doing this year. :)"
'13 The Great Turtle
'12 Algernon Radcliffe
'11 Kip Oppenheimer
'10 Harry Ross, Matchmaker Extraordinaire
'09 Josh, God of Cookies
'08 Gruesome
'07 Walter Del Mundo, Coven of Dark Mages
'05 Good Dragon
'04 MIB Agent
'03 Leprechaun

Cyle/Garth

• Sorcerer Supreme
  • Pre-Reg
  • Creature on Patrol
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 04:53:12 AM »
this is the part that got me excited:

"If there is demand for it, we plan on running our Sandbox format game at a non-convention location. "

I will go ahead and make that demand. HMG, I DEMAND a Dark Weekend to happen sometime in the next 2 years. There, now there is a demand for it and now they have to make it happen.  :P
'08-'12 Garth - Wizard
05'-'07 Garth - Human Mage

AnotherLemming

• Pre-Reg
  • Creature on Patrol
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2013, 06:21:33 AM »
After finding this message(god i get too much email)

I am excited.  I applaud Joe and HMG for seeing that an issue exists and not running the company into the ground.

Proof that the Darkcon has changed is very evident in the forums.  I remember years ago the yahoogroups Darkcon community was buzzing with excitment 6 months out of the year.  Many of us have grown up, Many of us have gotten jobs that require more and more time and can't spend that much time for that much of the year not working.  Now the forums are quiet and we have less then 2 months before a game.

As a whole gaming has changed.  Most  of the  larps i have known about have closed up shop (Nero, Wildlands South) I severly doubt its lack of love for the game so its got to be something else.  Local Gaming stores have been closing up also.  I'm not sure if MMOs are filling the nitch that traditional gaming once did but there is a change.

As for Dark Weekends I know we have talked about this before.  And the amount of commitment that they need to make certain that they don't "lose the farm" is almost staggering.  I think it can be done but it will require a large commitment from the community to make certain that it works.  I believe there is a chance that turning Dragoncon into a apetizer rather then the main course of a meal may just be enough to get that amount of commitment.

I love Darkcon, the people are amazing (well most of them).  I look forward to the changes and being able to play darkcon and go to the Con.  I know I may take Dragoncon2014 off because it just won't be the same with no Darkcon at all.

I apologize for the ramble but i wanted to get some of my thoughts out.

Jason
08-10, 12 Lust
07 Parker Grinnell, Pixie
04 Dylan Slakeborn
03 Leonardo Dyson, Muse
02 Azize, Phoenix
01 Beta Parker, Good Dragon
00 Kyriasthmus, Dragon looking for love

GoddessIrony

• Pre-Reg
  • Werebass
  • Giver of Information (or at least friendly advice)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2013, 03:15:53 PM »
Like you, we're not surprised by this turn of events since Dark Con takes so much from the staff and owners, and the convention has drastically changed in the last few years. In short: we'll see you this year, we completely understand taking a year off, and we're already in line for the relaunch.

My goodness, it's been an amazing run, and I suspect this year shall top them all. Thanks, HMG, for running this massive labor of love for us. We love you, and although we've not said it often enough, we appreciate you.
Do not taunt happy fun goddess. --Thomas

Ben

• Pre-Reg
  • Mundane Conventioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2013, 09:03:35 PM »
Thanks anyone and everyone who's run Dark Con for the best LARP experience ever.   Going to miss it in 2014.  It's going to be weird to actually spend the majority of time at Dragon*Con doing something other than playing.

Helios "The Lesser" 2009
"Alan Grey" 2008
Draco Betrüger, Dragoncon Hospitality, Guest and Attendee Relations,
and Special Services 2007
The Guardian Angel 2006
Kyle "Heracles" Sevro 2005
And

Pat

• Pre-Reg
  • Mundane Conventioneer
  • Manolith!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2013, 08:48:08 PM »
That breaks my heart, but it's understandable.
Here's to making this the best ending ever!

I'm going to go be sad for a while...
2013 - Bout the Arms Dealer
2012 - The Manolith!
2011 - The Manolith!
2010 - The Manolith!
2009 - The Manolith!
2008 - The Manolith!
2007 - T.A. Matt
2006 - T.A. Matt
2005 - T.A. Matt
2004 - The Creature
2003 - The Creature