Author Topic: 2013 The Good  (Read 8818 times)

Josh Wilhoyte

• Pre-Reg
  • Y2K bug
  • MonKEH!!!
    • View Profile
2013 The Good
« on: September 06, 2013, 08:39:35 AM »
  Ok, game's over.  It's time to tell what about the game was awesome for you?  What stories do you have?  What things did you like?  What made it a good game this year?

I liked that the Maze Simulation was ultimately pretty easy to understand.  There was a little bit of a learning curve, but ultimately, you always had two to four potential goals at any time.  They weren't always easy or sensical, but they were usually doable, and you had a group of people looking to do them.
Josh Wilhoyte
Former Fan Table Chair - The ConFronted

For Identification purposes:
Josh as Armand Du, Sleepy in Action

Cyle/Garth

• Sorcerer Supreme
  • Pre-Reg
  • Creature on Patrol
    • View Profile
Re: 2013 The Good
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 10:38:44 AM »
I enjoyed taunting the minotaur as a "peanut"

Also discussing the "martial arts tourney which the finals being determined in a fight to the death" with Irony and her saying "I'm surprised that the martial arts is the hang up for you and not the killing..."

'08-'12 Garth - Wizard
05'-'07 Garth - Human Mage

Ricky

• Pre-Reg
  • Phollower
  • It's about sending a message
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 11:07:57 AM »
I liked the way end game went down this year.  Various options with multiple possible outcomes while avoiding ridiculously large confrontations.  I also liked that some individuals could fail while others could succeed.  And even after succeeding, you were still involved with the Amazed help/hinder. 

I loved the amount of carnage throughout the game.  Not because I enjoy killing people, but because, after a point, people weren't as paranoid or afraid to die so they were more inclined to try crazy things. 

I enjoyed the classic MIB vs Creature drama and the fact that a creature convention vote actually went down.

The mini-merchant kid was awesome.  I bought stuff from him I didn't even need just for fun.

Having 2 of me in play was fun and made for some good roleplaying moments.

I loved the lack of free fire in Malices. 

I loved that I, as a turtle, killed the rabbit after about 50 rounds.  Also, I scared off T.A. Matt because I would have also killed him after about 50 rounds.  Preserving Crystals are OP.  Of course, I had to pick a fight with one of the few instant-death mechanics floating around that could kill me (magical molecular debonder).  I knew what I was getting into when I planned the attack on the MIBs, but figured it was better to martyr myself for all creature-kind if that was necessary. 

It was cool to see pre-merchant Omar in play.  And while I would have liked to see him play out the character more, it was pretty funny that he was killed because he had nothing to sell to the Triumvirate of Evil.  Drake and his spawn were blood-thirsty newbies so I didn't try to put a stop to their fun. 

The metagaming of attempting to kill Thomas 5 minutes after free fire came down was pretty funny and backfired hilariously.  Apologies to Thomas's crew for not really being in on the joke. 
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 11:11:27 AM by Ricky »
'13 The Great Turtle
'12 Algernon Radcliffe
'11 Kip Oppenheimer
'10 Harry Ross, Matchmaker Extraordinaire
'09 Josh, God of Cookies
'08 Gruesome
'07 Walter Del Mundo, Coven of Dark Mages
'05 Good Dragon
'04 MIB Agent
'03 Leprechaun

JiQorun

• Bunny
  • At your service, if you're at mine.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 12:53:19 PM »
As a firsttimer, I like that I didn't die. That's mostly because I didnt make enough time to play, but cool none the less. My character was well wrote and had some interesting items.
I can't wait for next year.
Scrum StenchSpiral - 2013

GoddessIrony

• Pre-Reg
  • Werebass
  • Giver of Information (or at least friendly advice)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 01:03:18 PM »
I enjoyed, more than anything else, the metagame. The moment we walked into Malice's on Friday evening and said a few words for her wake--not one person talking about anything other than the game--I was hooked. As an English/Lit oriented person, I was immediately in love.

You guys all played the hell out of a variety of characters and historical DarkCon scenarios, and I've never seen you have so much fun. It was the most active, energetic game I've ever seen.

My favorite moment was endgame. I adored that we didn't have to do the coin flipping, which is the very mechanic that kept John and me from endgame for all these years, and that it was based on actual role-playing instead. We were in Benji's group (thank you, Jen, for leading us to that group!) and everyone got to have their last moment. My moment was exceptionally meta: Benji turned to me and said, "What did you learn from playing Irony all these years, that you've never told anyone before?" I'm pretty sure Laura turned to someone in that moment and anticipated that I would cry, which yeah, I totally did. My response? "That I am capable of loving a great number of people, who can love me in return." Then there were hugs, and Minotaur endgame badassery, and I loved every minute of it. The Minotaur was particularly awesome from a gaming standpoint, because everyone had a turn to go up against the Big Bad without having a three-hour battle. We were able to show off our characters with everyone else still involved and supporting, and I have never felt such camaraderie. In that moment, yeah, we were metagaming. And it was freaking awesome.

I hope that the future DarkCon will take this kind of endgame into account; while I understand that there will be those who "play like it's a first-person shooter," there are those of us who privilege role-playing over everything else. We want to have different means with which to end a confrontation (maybe not with players, but certainly with NPCs).

And holy crap was the new merchant--Aveer?--amazing. Smartest kid in the world. Like a young Omar.
Do not taunt happy fun goddess. --Thomas

ChaoticAffinity

• Pre-Reg
  • Mundane Conventioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 06:33:20 PM »
And here is the film from some of that endgame event

http://youtu.be/dvcT4-lKx8c
ChaoticAffinity Aka Another Joe in the crowd
2013 Gilbert Auclair
2011-12 Gristomancy Patella
2010 Rick Woods
2009 Leo Smalls  
2008 Dennis Friesling - PN
2006 Magic Familer
2005 EFP Member
1996 Cosmo Rizik
1995 Still Can't remember
1994 Dark Elf
1994 - Hurricon -  Gilbert Auclair

Ricky

• Pre-Reg
  • Phollower
  • It's about sending a message
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 10:22:36 AM »
Great vid!  Glad you captured it cause I missed pretty much everything outside of the minotaur. 

Here's a couple vids I took:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10201941988090111&set=o.622995741044968&type=2&theater
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10201941918608374&set=o.622995741044968&type=2&theater
'13 The Great Turtle
'12 Algernon Radcliffe
'11 Kip Oppenheimer
'10 Harry Ross, Matchmaker Extraordinaire
'09 Josh, God of Cookies
'08 Gruesome
'07 Walter Del Mundo, Coven of Dark Mages
'05 Good Dragon
'04 MIB Agent
'03 Leprechaun

Josh Wilhoyte

• Pre-Reg